Competitive: Program Info
NOTE: REGISTRATION CLOSED THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2020
Player Health & Safety Measures:
The BWHA’s 2020-21 Competitive Season will fully comply with all restrictions and regulations provided by the Ontario Government, the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, the City of Barrie, the Ontario Women’s Health Association, and Hockey Canada. Strict measures will be taken to ensure the health and safety of players, parents, coaches, and other volunteers, including:
- All on-ice activities limited to 25 participants.
- Using “Bubble Leagues“ with a maximum of 50 players to limit the participants our players and coaches will come into contact with
- Strict facility entry protocols, including self-screening of all participants
- Comprehensive records of player participation in games and practices, to assist with contact tracing if required
- A detailed plan for how we will respond to any suspected, probable, or potential Covid-19 cases
- Modified games rules (as defined by the OWHA) will be used to limit/reduce physical contact
For more details on the procedures and protocols we will follow, please review the BWHA’s Return to Hockey Plan.
- Players will be assigned to a 50-player bubble, based on their age category and skill level. Tryouts are not permitted by the OWHA this season. Coaches assigned to each Bubble will make final player selections.
- All practices and games will include only other teams and players from the same Bubble. Players will only be a part of 1 Bubble.
- Within each Bubble, players will be assigned to a Development Group based on their skill level and ability. Each group will be assigned to one of our 2020-21 competitive coaches who will plan and lead all practices and development sessions. Coaches leading each Development Group will make final player selections.
- Within each Bubble, players will also be assigned to 1 of 4 Bubble League Teams. Coaches in each Bubble will work together to ensure these teams are as balanced as possible, including diversity of skill levels and an equal number of players from each Development Group within the Bubble.
- 3-on-3, 4-on-4 modified games will initially be played within each Bubble, starting as early as September 25. Games will evolve to 5-on-5 hockey, as restrictions allow. All games will include OWHA on-ice officials and timekeepers.
U18 (Midget) Bubbles
|Bubble 1 ||Bubble 2 ||Bubble 3 |
|Coaches || Players ||Coaches ||Players ||Coaches ||Players |
|Ed Mauro |
|50* ||Shawn Denomme |
|40 ||Bill Drummond |
* Bubble 1 will include Barrie Jr. Sharks Players
U15 (Bantam) Bubbles
|Bubble 1 ||Bubble 2 |
|Coaches ||Players ||Coaches ||Players |
|Duane Eldridge |
|36 || |
U13 (Peewee) Bubbles
|Bubble 1 ||Bubble 2 |
|Coaches ||Players ||Coaches ||Players |
|Mike van Berkel |
|40 ||Jason McKenna |
U11 (Atom) Bubble
|Bubble 1 |
|Coaches ||Players |
|Jason Willard |
- For this season, all U9 (Novice) players will begin with our House League program in October. Plans for our U9 Competitive Program will be announced later.
- The format and capacities noted above are targets and estimates, based on anticipated enrollment. Actual format and/or capacities could change based on actual registrations.
- The format and structure described above is being planned from September to December. If changes to current restrictions allow for the evolution of the season to a different format, the BWHA will announce appropriate changes and any remaining prorated fees will be refunded or allocated to future programs.
- Should circumstances continue to allow our competitive program to continue, without evolving into something that more resembles a normal competitive hockey season, this program will continue from January to March, 2021 in the same structure and format.
- When or if the OWHA announces that a competitive season will proceed, the process for selecting competitive teams will be determined and communicated. This may include tryouts at a later date. Membership in any Bubble or Development Group does not guarantee a player a position on a competitive team.
Start of Season Timelines:
- Registration Open: Tuesday, August 25
- Registration Closes: Thursday, September 3 at 11:59PM
- Bubble selection by coaches: September 3 to 6
- Bubble invitations sent to players: Monday, September 7
- Development Group practices: begin Friday, September 11
- Bubble League Games: begin as early as September 25
- Mid-Season Review: no later than November 1 (i.e. whether the current model will continue or change)
The BWHA’s House League Program is planned to begin in early October. Please click here for more info.
- Registration will be open until Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 11:50PM. Players who have not registered and made the required preliminary payment by this date will not be eligible for the 2020-2021 competitive program - NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
- Program Capacity: Registering for the 2020-21 competitive program does not guarantee that a player will be selected to a specific Bubble or Development Group. In the event total registrations exceed available capacity in this year’s competitive program, some players may not be offered an opportunity to participate. In such cases, players who are not offered a spot will be eligible to participate in our 2020-21 House League Program (more information on the transfer of fees can be found below in our refund policy).
- Bubble and Development Group Eligibility: As part of the registration process, players will be asked to indicate the Bubble and Development Group for which they wish to be eligible for consideration. Players will also be eligible for all lower level Bubbles and Groups within the same age level.
- Registration is open to ALL players, regardless of the association they were registered with in 2019-20, or level they played in the 2019-2020 season. Registration does not guarantee a place in the 2020-21 competitive program.
- Non-BWHA players: any player who was member of another OWHA association or team in 2019-20 (or before) must be released from their previous association before the season begins. Registering with the BWHA for the 2020-21 season will initiate this process with your former association - no further action is required. (Please also see the section titled Program Capacity above.)
OMHA Players & Eligibility:
- Players who have previously played with an OMHA association are eligible for registration, with no further action required.
- Players who register with an OWHA association for the 2020-2021 are ineligible to also register for an OMHA association or team this season.
- Players who have already registered with an OMHA association or team for the 2020-2021 are ineligible to also register for an OWHA association or team this season.
Fall Session Registration Fees (Updated October 8, 2020:
|Bubble ||Coach ||TOTAL |
Fall Session Fee
|U18-Bubble 1, Group 1 ||Jr. Sharks Managed ||$1,260 ||$300 ||$480.00 ||$480.00 |
|U18-Bubble 1, Group 2 ||Eric MacFadden ||$1,200 ||$300 ||$450.00 ||$450.00 |
|U18-Bubble 2, Group 1 ||Shawn Denomme ||$1,085 ||$300 ||$392.50 ||$392.50 |
|U18-Bubble 2, Group 2 ||Laurie |
|$1,085 ||$300 ||$392.50 ||$392.50 |
|U18-Bubble 3, Group 1 ||Bill Drummond ||$1,015 ||$300 ||$357.50 ||$357.50 |
|U18-Bubble 3, Group 2 ||T.J. McBride ||$900 ||$300 ||$300.00 ||$300.00 |
|U15-Bubble 1, Group 1 ||Duane Eldridge ||$1,115 ||$300 ||$407.50 ||$407.50 |
|U15-Bubble 1, Group 2 ||Mike White ||$1,090 ||$300 ||$395.00 ||$395.00 |
|U15-Bubble 2, Group 1 ||Trent Collie ||$930 ||$300 ||$315.00 ||$315.00 |
|U15-Bubble 2, Group 2 ||Jason Crump ||$915 ||$300 ||$307.50 ||$307.50 |
|U15-Bubble 2, Group 3 ||Steve Sayeau ||$915 ||$300 ||$307.50 ||$307.50 |
|U13-Bubble 1, Group 1 ||Mike van Berkel ||$1,075 ||$300 ||$387.50 ||$387.50 |
|U13-Bubble 1, Group 2 ||T.W. Paton ||$940 ||$300 ||$320.00 ||$320.00 |
|U13-Bubble 2, Group 1 ||Jason McKenna ||$895 ||$300 ||$297.50 ||$297.50 |
|U13-Bubble 2, Group 2 ||Rob Poissant ||$895 ||$300 ||$297.50 ||$297.50 |
|U13-Bubble 2, Group 3 ||Kate Gee ||$895 ||$300 ||$297.50 ||$297.50 |
|U11-Bubble 1, Group 1 ||Jason Willard ||$875 ||$300 ||$287.50 ||$287.50 |
|U11-Bubble 1, Group 2 ||Nick Leigh ||$800 ||$300 ||$250.00 ||$250.00 |
|U11-Bubble 1, Group 3 ||Dennis Crossland ||$800 ||$300 ||$250.00 ||$250.00 |
- Fees have been set to include fixed season costs (such as BWHA administration, OWHA registration, and Hockey Canada Insurance), and ice costs for September to December portion of our competitive program only. Should the program continue in the same format from January to March, additional fees will be charged for ice from January to March.
- A $30 “Non-Resident Fee” is charged by the City of Barrie for all residents who do not reside in Barrie or Springwater Township. This fee will be collected at the time of registration, and will be passed to the City of Barrie.
- Competitive program fees are estimated based on anticipated registration levels. Some adjustments may be required.
Please click here for details on the BWHA’s refund policy for the 2020-2021 season.